2012 Etiquette & Eloquence Expo at Monitor Center | Community Spirit
FITZGERALD, GA – Bethel A.M.E. Church will have their 2012 Christian Southern Etiquette & Eloquence Expo will be Sunday, October 28 at 4 p.m. at the Monitor Center located at 502 South Monitor Drive.
The theme expo is "Big Hats and Fine China". Free food will be served, and gospel choirs will sing.
All women in attendance are expected to wear their finest dress and biggest most elaborate hats. All men in attendance are expected to wear their finest suit. If you have neither, come as you are.
Christi Schirack, Director of Fitzgerald Chamber of Commerce, will be our keynote speaker. This is a reservation only event, so make yours soon.
For more information or to make seating and sponsorship reservations contact Christopher J. Durham at 229-423-8474.
Here is the full press release from Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
Bethel A.M.E. Church, in Fitzgerald, Ga., will be having its 2012 Christian Southern Etiquette & Eloquence Expo on Sunday October 28, 2012, at 4:00 p.m. The event will take place at Monitor Center, which is located at 502 South Monitor Drive in Fitzgerald.
We are cordially inviting all churches, businesses, groups, individuals, and organizations to sponsor a table in the competition. If you don’t wish to sponsor a table, we certainly encourage the public to make reservations to attend and fellowship with us.
The theme of the expo is "Big Hats And Fine China". Free food will be served, gospel choirs will sing, and smooth jazz music will be played periodically throughout the night for your listening pleasure.
The 2012 Christian Southern Etiquette & Eloquence Expo is an event to highlight the finest of southern Christian traditions and values. It’s a friendly Christian table place setting competition with all the grandeur of the Old South.
All women in attendance are expected to wear your finest dress and your biggest most elaborate hat. All men in attendance are expected to wear your finest suit. If you have neither, come as you are. Mrs. Christi Schirack, Director of Fitzgerald Chamber OF Commerce, will be our keynote speaker. This is a reservation only event, so make yours today!
We are expecting a sizable number of people for this event, so table seating is limited. The donation of a canned good product or item of clothing, along with your seating reservation fee of only $8 for adults, will guarantee your seat. All children twelve and under attend for free, but a seating reservation must be made for them as well, free of charge. If you would like to sponsor a table to put into the competition for yourself, church, organization, group, or business, it’s only a $100 sponsorship fee to do so.
Once your seating reservation fee of only $8 for adults is sent in, a receipt will be emailed to you. Print this email out and bring it with you to the event. This will be your ticket into the function. The same applies when sending in the $100 sponsorship fee for competitors. Please call and make your reservations as soon as possible if you’re going to attend the event! If you show up without your canned good product or item of clothing, there will be an additional $8 fee to enter the function.
All food and clothing collected at the event will be donated to the Christian Kitchen in Fitzgerald. The donation of either a canned good product or item of clothing will also grant those with seating reservations free access to free food, free drinks, and free refreshments served at the event. The dress code is strongly encouraged for everyone, so wear your Sunday’s best. But, if you don’t have that, come as you are.
Please call in to make your seating and sponsorship reservations with Brother Christopher J. Durham (229) 423-8474 first, then send in your checks or money orders. Checks or Money Orders for sponsorship fees and seating reservation fees can be mailed to: Bethel A.M.E. Church P.O. Box 191; Fitzgerald, Ga. 31750 (Please include your whole name, complete mailing address, email address, and phone number. If you’re sponsoring a table in the competition, please also include the name of the church, business, group, or organization you’re representing). Don’t forget the email address!
Our menu will consist of two meat choices; Fried Chicken and Herb Encrusted Baked Fish (Tilapia). Our side item menu choices will be; Collard Greens w/ Pig Tails, Collard Greens w/ Smoked Turkey, Macaroni & Cheese, Black Eyed Peas, Rice, Corn Bread, and Candied Yams. Sweet Tea and Water will be available as drink choices. (Did someone just get hungry?)
Awards will be given out to the First, Second, and Third place winners of the table place setting competition. Other awards will be given away for Best Dressed (Female) and Best Dressed (Male). So, please dress to impress!
We will be honoring Brother Charles H. Hall (Owner: Hall’s Funeral Home), and former Mayor of Fitzgerald, Ga., Gerald H. Thompson, with the Claud & Carzella Boles Lifetime Achievement Award. In addition, we’ll also be honoring Reverend Carl Stanley, Reverend George Vereen, and Reverend Steve O’neal [The Christian Kitchen], with the Charles H. Hall Christian Leadership Award.
This HOLY SPIRIT filled Expo will be the biggest event in Fitzgerald history, don’t be left out, make your reservations! For all reservations, questions, and inquiries, including how to sponsor a table and compete in the competition, please contact Brother Christopher J. Durham at C_J_DURHAM@YAHOO.COM or call 229-423-8474 and leave a message.
REQUIREMENTS FOR COMPETITORS
- $100 sponsorship fee to sponsor a table & compete in the competition.
- Sponsorship fee due by Friday October 19, 2012.
- Please call in to make your seating reservations and sponsorship reservations with Brother Christopher J. Durham (229) 423-8474 first, then send in your checks or money orders.
- Checks or Money Orders for sponsorship fees and seating reservation fees can be mailed to: Bethel A.M.E. Church P.O. Box 191; Fitzgerald, Ga. 31750 (Please include your whole name, complete mailing address, email address, and phone number. If you’re sponsoring a table in the competition, please also include the name of the church, business, group, or organization you’re representing). Don’t forget the email address!
- If you send multiple seating reservation fees or sponsorship fees in at one time, each person’s name and information must be itemized in detail.
- All competitors much be at the venue by 2:00 p.m. to set up your competition table.
- Tables can be sponsored by individual people, churches, businesses, groups, or organizations.
- All table place settings in competition will be China (plates, saucers, bowls, dishes, etc.).
- Silverware is required for each table setting and factors in to competition scoring (forks & spoons).
- Table napkins are required and are a great addition to your table setting, and will increase your overall score.
- Glass or crystal drinking glasses are required for your table setting, and is encouraged for better scoring.
- All competition tables are 4ft. round tables.
- One representative, no more than two, from the group, church, or organization sponsoring the table in competition will sit up on stage at the table they’re representing. Their presence there is to explain their table’s set up, theme, appearance, or inspiration.
- All non-competitors will be seated at floor level at rectangular tables a part from the round competition tables.
- Competitors are encouraged to be as creative as possible. Tables can have reasonable props and be theme oriented in regards to the actual china, table covering, and presentation. (Example: Tropical theme, Latin theme, Oriental theme, etc.)
- Each participant must supply their own table covering, which is considered in competition scoring as well.
- Women wear your biggest & most elaborate hat to the event.
- Women wear your finest dress and men wear your finest suit to the event.
- Awards will be given to First, Second, & Third place winners in the table place setting competition.
- Best dressed awards will be given to the best dressed male and female attendee.